August 02, 2006

MIRCHI-BAINGAN SALAN(BellPepper-Eggplant Gravy)

Mirchi-Baingan Salan!
I am sure Andhrites/Hyderabadis OWN this recipe and often serve with pride. My version would be little different as I tweaked it (skipped real hot Mirchi!) to suit my milder taste and used small round chilli peppers I grew in my garden.It tasted delicious. So if you feel that it's not authentic enough salan ,I apologize to you all Andhrites in advance.HeHe! Do try this recipe and see how great it tastes !!

My homegrown Chilli Peppers, Eggplants and Tomatoes I used for this dish!

To make this:

YOU NEED:
2-4 Bell Peppers or mild round chilli peppers ,any color
2 Eggplants
1 Onion sliced
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
Cilantro
Few mint Leaves
Turmeric
2 tbsp Tamarind Juice
Curry Leaves
1-2 Tomatoes if desired


ROAST AND POWDER:
1 tsp Oil
2 Onions
2 tsp Ginger
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 tbsp Dry Coconut
1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
1 tbsp Cumin Seeds

METHOD:1. Heat oil,fry mustard seeds,curry leaves,Onion until soft. Add Vegetables,fry them until almost done.
2. Put in ground masala,tamarind juice and fry till oil shows on top.
3. Garnish with cilantro,mint leaves. Serve hot.

MY PEPPER PLANT!

With Akki Rotti(Plantation Style):

With Dosa:
ENJOY!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Asha for your Event entry! Looking forward to more entries.

Thanks again.

FH said...

Thanks inji pennu ! Looking forward to other entries , too!!

Viji said...

Very impressive Asha. Its always a great feeling to cook from our own garden vegetables. Could feel the freshness. Nice one. Viji

FH said...

Thanks Viji.It's true,you just feel so happy to look and hold freshly plucked veggies in your hands,it's indescribable!:)

bee said...

ash, you get peppers so early? we gets ours in august and september. lucky you. is this an entry for GBP? or some other event?

FH said...

Beeeee!!!!! I wrote it there that this is last year's harvest and recipe!!READ girl:D
It's true,you get peppers mostly in June and July here NC.I just planted them for this yr 3 weeks ago and I can see one chilli pepper on the plant already!

Jyothi said...

Fantastic Asha, Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. Dosas looks yummy. My favorite breakfast is dosa. Thanks a lot.

FH said...

You are welcome Jyoti.Dosa is little different than the usual.Try it:)

Anonymous said...

Im in love with ur garden! I was just making mirchi ka salan and getting ready to post it and I see Mirchi baingan ka salan. Hmm.. this reminds me of home so much and those cafes which serve authentic hyderabadi food . im counting days already to go back home!

FH said...

Thank you Dee! Are you planning to back to India?That's exciting.
I used mild peppers for Mirchis,still tasted great.Post your's too,they are all different anyway!:)0

Latha said...

Look at those cute babies! The wonderful homegrown veggies i mean :-) I dont care if its not spicy or authentic.. it looks too good to pass! Never had baingan and mirchi mixed to make salan. Sounds creative!

Sreelu said...

Asha

nice variation, I love baingan cooked in any form.

pics look delish

FH said...

Latha,I don't think I can handle real Mirchi in there!!:D This is tha same Salan recipe ,just with mixed veggies.Try it.I can't wait for this year's harvest!

Sreelu,Baingan tastes great in Salan too.With peppers ,it's a great combination.Try:)

Roopa said...

yummy! thumba chenagide, oh my those peppers and baingans my favorite.

FH said...

Hope you try Roopa.This is little different recipe from the other salan!:))