July 28, 2006

AVALAKKI DOSA AND RAVA DOSA!

Avalakki(Poha) Dosa:

Here's an easy but very tasty crispy Dosa recipe I made the other Day. This Avalakki as we call in Kannada or Poha elsewhere Dosa recipe was from a cook book by Vasantha Moorthy.I did add some extra ingredients to make it taste better since it is little bland on it's own as it was in the recipe.

You Need:
1 1/2 Cups Rice,
3/4 Cup Aval or Poha,
2 tbsp Plain Yoghurt,
Salt, little sugar,
1/2 tsp baking Soda,
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
Few Cilantro Leaves.

How To:
1. Soak Rice and Avalakki(with yogurt) separately for 2-3 hours. Grind both to a smooth paste ,sprinkle salt and leave it overnight to ferment.
2. Next day, add rest of the ingredients and enough water to thin the batter,make dosas as usual. If you find it sticking to the Tava, use non-stick pan.
3. Tastes best freshly made and served ,it tends to become tough if kept more than an hour.
4. Serve with Tendli Masala and/or no-coconut-chutney.

Tendli Masala:


No-Coconut Chutney:


MY BEST RAVA(Fine Semolina) DOSA:

My best ever Rava dosa recipe ever folks!:))
I have tried many many proportions for making rava dosa, never came out well. After many botched lumpy, sticky dosas,here it is! A recipe I found worked best for me perfectly.Hope you will like it too!

You Need:
1 Cup roasted fine Semolina,
(if coarse, grind it until you get fairly fine rava but not powder or flour!)
1/4 cup Rice Flour
1/4 cup Plain Flour(Maida)
1 tbsp Corn Starch
1 tsp or less salt
A pinch of baking soda
Turmeric (optional)
1 tbsp yogurt
1/2 tsp sugar

To Season:
Heat 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter,add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds,1/2 tsp crushed cumin seeds,few dry red chilli flakes, chopped curry leaves and cilantro.

How To:
1. Mix all the above with enough water(about 2cups)to make a spreadable batter, not too thick but thin like buttermilk consistency.
2. Add seasoning and mix well.Let it rest for not more than 15-20mins.After 15mins,if the batter is too thick you can water.
3. Heat a Tava or non-stick skillet,pour a ladleful of batter and make a circle.
4. Let it cook until crisp,drizzle some oil around the dosa.Flip and repeat the same.
5. Serve immediately with any gravy.

Serve with Tasty Tomato Gojju:


If you don't have time to cook the gravy,here is a quick and delicious Chana Dal(red split peas/Kadale bele) Chutney to go famously with both Dosas.

Chana dal Chutney:

Have fun!!:))

25 comments:

Priya said...

Never tried dosa with semolia and aval. I will try this one asha.

FH said...

Hurray!! Thanks Priya.Somebody at last noticed these yummies!:))
Both are delicious and easy too.Hope you do try and enjoy.

Viji said...

Hi Asha,
One of my friend had told me about Rava dosa,but poha dosa I never new.I will try this one.Thanks.

Suganya said...

Asha, Is this how you make dinner? A Great Spread? Then, I wud like to come over :D

FH said...

Hi Viji,Aval dosa was so tasty,I was surprised myself.Hope you try.You need a non-stick pan to get perfect dosas.Hope you do:)

Hi Suganya.HeHe!! Sometimes I do cook multiple dishes,most of the time,it's just the usual.Give it a try:))

Suma Gandlur said...

I prepare avalakki and rave dosas and love them. Lovely pictures. BTW, do you add soda for the avalakki dose because the batter doesn't rise? Just wanted to know.I don't add soda but always loved the outcome.

Jyothi said...

Hi Asha!

Never heard about poha dosa! rava dosa is my favourite. But mine is different. Next time, I will try your version. And even I want to that chutneys and poha dosa too. All are looking yummy and great. I will try all these recipes. Thanks a lot for sharing.

FH said...

Suma,I loved Avalakki dosa too,it was new to me.Rave dose ,we all know!:)
I add little soda just before making dosas to make it crispy,but not when fermenting.If I want soft dosas ,I skip soda.It's just a habit,I add soda to everything!:D

Hi Jyoti,chutney with Dosas are always fabulous if you ask me.You don't need any side dishes:))
Make them and enjoy.

Pavani said...

Hi Asha, I got the recipe for Avvalakki dosa (aka Challa ponganalu in telugu) from my mom, but never tried making them.. All your dosas look restaurant style.. Good job.. Thanks for sharing the recipes.

FH said...

Pavani,try your mom's recipe girl and share with us! I didn't know about this until I saw it in the cookbook.Hope you do!:))

Manasi said...

Avalakki in Dosa!! great! and u make it sound so easy must try this and rava dosa!!! Thanx hon!!

archana said...

I have never seen such a beautiful colour to dosas. that orange streak is looking so nice on the poha dosa. I am book marking these recipe :)

Seena said...

Will try your aval dosa, went through all chutney recipes, couldn't find tendly masala page..
what's it? seems like snake gourd pieces!
wonderful dishes,love to be your neighbour..hmm?

FH said...

You are welcome Manasi.Try both of them and enjoy:))

Archana,thanks.I use a electric non-stick griddle.Dosas always come out so uniformly golden,I love it:))Try them.

Seena,Tendis are not snake gourd or ridge gourd but it's called Tondli,Tondakai,Pavakka ,Ivy gourd etc.
I will check the link to see and correct it.That gravy really tasty,my mom's recipe.Hope you try:))
It's also in the recipe Index in "side dishes".If you are my neighbor,I will come over to your place for yummy non-veg dishes!;D

Anonymous said...

Hi Asha,

I tried ur recipe for poha dosa. We liked it very much. Thanks.

FH said...

You are welcome Aruna and thank you for your feedback.I appreciate it.Enjoy!:)

Uj said...

Came here looking for a Ravadosa recipe.. I have tried making it twice but never got good result. Will try your method too :) I am sure It would taste great

FH said...

Hi Uj, I am sure you will love it. Thanks for trying it.

Try this another method of Rava dosa too, I love the crispiness. Enjoy! :))

http://aromahope.blogspot.com/2008/03/dosa-galore-rave-dose-moong-masoor-and.html

Bhavani said...

wow. Have got to try this. Looks really yummy.

FH said...

Hope you do try Bhavani, easy to make and tasty dosa too! :))

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

Love the poha dosa! I somehow mess up rava dosa.. got to try this.. looks super yummy!

FH said...

Madhu, keep the batter thin like buttermilk, Rava dosa needs that unlike regular dosa.:)

Gayathri said...

You gave a better idea for breakfast, recipe sounds interesting and pics are awesome

FH said...

Thanks Gayatri. Avalakki dosas are my favorite, do try! :)

Shobha said...

Poha dosa sounds interesting...will surely try it out.Thanks for sharing the recipe.