August 02, 2006

TENDLI PALYA ( Bhaji )

Tonde`kayi, that's what we call this vegetable in kannada.This recipe is an everyday fare,simple but delicious dish!! It's mom's recipe ,flavorful and easy dish to prepare.Hope you try.It goes very well with any kind of dosas and chapatis or rice rottis!!

This how Tendlis look like:



They are also called Tondekai,Tondli,Ivy Gourd etc.I got the picture from the Internet just to show you how they look.




Tendli Palya:


As always true for most of Indian dishes, tastes better the next day when the spices get a chance to seep in to the vegetables overnight! Hope you will give it a try!!


YOU NEED:
1 lb Tendli chopped into big pieces
2 tomatoes
Cilantro
1 tsp Ghee
Tamarind Juice

ROAST AND GRIND:
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 Fenugreek Seeds
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Peppercorns
Turmeric
1" Cinnamon (ie Dalchini)
1 tsp Rice
1 tbsp Coconut

SEASON:
1 tsp Oil and Ghee each
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 red Chilly
Curry Leaves
1 Onion

HOW TO:
1. Roast and powder all and keep aside.
2. Heat oil, season . Add cut Tendli ,fry for some time.Pour in 1 cup or more to cook the veg.Add in tomatoes,little tamarind juice,salt.
3. Put in ground masala,simmer gently.
4. Garnish with cilantro and little ghee.
5. Serve with Dosa or chapatis!



ENJOY!!

16 comments:

jayshree said...

Nice Pic.. never tasted tendli.Will try when I get a chance next time.

FH said...

Thanks Jay!! This dish is yummy!!Did you come here by mistake?! As you can see, ur the only one!:))
I appreciate it!!Hope you will try!

Anonymous said...

Foodie:

Mail me please!!! It looks so nice and yummy recipe....

FH said...

Okay Pria!! It's coming!! Catch!!!
Dang!! You dropped it?!No more Tendli Palya for you!!:D:D
Thanks ,cook some, girl!!

Anonymous said...

hey!so you have started posting even on fridays?!! here was i thinking it was only on wednesdays! good thing i visited you today & saw this, for otherwise would have missed a good recipe!:)! is tendli kovvakkai asha? never eaten it, but i think the time has come to experiment with this veggie! have bookmarked your palya recipe:)
paati

FH said...

It's an old post Paati!Somebody told me this link is not is working,so I re-posted it today.It still Wednesdays at FH!:D
But I am glad you checked it out.Yes, Kovakka is Tendlis,easily available in India,but not here.Try it with Dosa.

Jyothi said...

Hi! looks lovely. This is different tendli recipe. Never heard this type of preparation. Next time, I will try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

FH said...

You are welcome Jyoti.
This is how we cook Tendlis back in Mysore at my grandma's and always served with Rice and urad dosas.Enjoy:)

Unknown said...

Hi Asha,
Tendli palya/curry looks good beautiful colour.

FH said...

Thank you Madhu.I don't get Tondekai often but when I get them,I quickly make this palya with dose.Tastes great.Try it:)

Saju said...

Asha, I just love your cooking! You are making me hungry again!

Viji said...

Beautiful Asha. Even it is tempting me - the person who doesn't like this veggie alone. Viji

Seena said...

Asha,
Now I got it!
thanks dear for letting me know,I love this veg.Once if we let grow the plant, it will start giving many fruits! In my place, people say it is getting mad..hehe
I have planted one here also..
agree with you, indian curries tastes better next day, usually I perpare some curries early to serve for lunch, just for this..
loved your recipe..will try it.need time,here its very hot and am leaving by thursday..

FH said...

HeHe!! Saju,get up and make some girl:))Thanks.

Hi Viji,thanks girl.I know Tendlis have metallic taste unless you add lot of spices.Try this way,you might like it:)

Seena,my link was not working yesterday,thanks for letting me know:)
In US, it's illegal to grow Ivy gourd bcos it grows like mad as you said!:D
But I love them.Come back soon Seena:))

Shobhita :-) said...

Hi,

While browsing just came through your blog-spot. Its really a wonderful place where we get wonderful recipes. Prepared Tendli palya y'day for dinner and hubby loved it. Thanks to you :-)

This is the first website where I am seeing some unique recipes..

Thanks so much for sharing such a delicious recipes :-)

FH said...

Enjoy Shobhita, glad you found me and my blog. Will be back soon with more fun recipes! :)