September 15, 2006

CHILLI CHICKEN WITH PITA & SPICED APPLE :)

Chilli Chicken !! The easiest, tastiest and the most popular of all non-veg dishes for a weekend lunch! Many of you have your variations I am sure but here is my quick easy version. Usually you should cut the chicken in strips just as you do with peppers to stir try but I thought I will just cut into bite sized pieces. Tastes the same though.Finish it off with either warm or chilled spiced apples! Done already!! Go take a nap now:D

The most delicious tasting chilli chicken I have ever eaten was in B'lore many years ago! There was a restaurant in Majestic near Kamath's who would cook chicken with spices in these little earthen pots and serve you in those pots themselves with a spoon, warm and sooo yummy. Well! I can't reproduce that ,so here's my style chilli chicken...:)

Chilli Chicken with Pita bread!


YOU NEED:
2 Cups diced or strips of chicken, 1 cup sliced onoins,1 cup hot green chillies or mild green bell peppers( capsicums),2 tomatoes sliced,2 tsp each of ginger strips and garlic strips, 2 tsp Cumin pd,1 tsp Chilli pd if using capsicums,salt, 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional), salt and cilantro. 2 tbsp Oil/butter for frying.

 

HOW TO:
Heat oil/butter in a non-stick pan on high heat. Add onions and peppers and stir-fry until reddish. Add in chicken, fry stirring frequently until opaque. Put in the toamatoes,mix and add little bit of water not burn the bottom,turn down the heat to medium and cover. Let it simmer until chicken is cooked for 5mins making sure it's not burning, add more water if neccessary.

 

After sometime, open the lid, add all the above spices (or any kind you like)and stir fry until the chicken is almost dry and coated with spices and sauce. Sprinkle cilantro.

  Posted by Picasa

Onion Relish:Slice a onion very thin, wash,squeeze the water out,put in a dish. Sprinkle salt, little lemon juice and paprika pd for color,mix.

Serve: Hot with toasted Pita bread or naan,onion relish, lemon slices and cinnamon spiced apple!!

Cinnamon Spiced Apple:

  Posted by Picasa

Here's How To Make It:
1. Heat 1 tbsp butter in a non-stick pan. Add one slightly tart apple(sliced thick), stir-fry until they are little soft but still tender-crisp.
2. Add in 3-4 tbsp brown sugar or as much sugar as you like to your taste.
2. Once melted, take off the heat, sprinkle 1-2tsp sweet cinnamon pd (not dalchini), pinch of nutmeg pd and garnish sprinkled with powdered sugar and whipped cream if you like!! Enjoy!!

Have a Great Weekend!! :)

17 comments:

Deepa Culinary World said...

It looks great Asha.Tha cinnamon spiced apple also looks yummy.

You know what? Make a dough & make the apple pie.

Anonymous said...

Chilly chicken is my favorite too, thank you for your recipe. Nice photos. Have a nice weekend.

Prema Sundar said...

Hi Asha,
Chilli chicken looks yummy..
Spiced apple is very new to me.. When I read the title I thought U did something spicy !!!with the apple. but then I realised it was spiced apple not spicy apple..hahaha
thanks for the recipe.

Vaishali said...

A healthy dessert. Without the whipped cream, that is. :) Apple and cinnamon is a classic combination. I am sure you enjoyed your dessert. :)

Anonymous said...

Easy to make recipes are sometimes the best ones...Nice recipe!
you too have a great weekend...:)

FH said...

Hi Deepa! you right abt crust and pie! But who is making dough on a sat., not me!! :D :D Thanks..

Thanks Archana, you enjoy your family too..

Thanks Lera! make time to visit often!! :) Enjoy B'lore you lucky girl!!

FH said...

Thanks Prema! Cinnamon is a spice too, girl!! A sweet spice American style :D That's what they call it actually, very tasty and low-fat !! Hope you will try once..

Hi Vaishali, we sure did enjoy the dessert, specially kids!! Don't forget the brown sugar,Yum!! Don't need no cream!! ( American english)
:D :D Thanks!Have a nice German weekend !(Cold now?)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

MMMHHH! Chili Chicken *doing a Homer Simpson impression* I love it Asha!

During the week I am alone at home for lunch and as I work from home always need something quick and easy. This is it. No more quick sandwiches. Gotta try it out.

Hugs for sharing this.

The Apple Cinnamon combo looks great too. A perfect treat for Soeri's lunch box!!

sra said...

Hi Asha, thanks for leaving a comment, my very first - I'm thrilled!

Anonymous said...

Wow..nice recipes. Would love to try them.

Hey, I have tagged you here. If your are interested, please write about it.

saakshi said...

Yummy yummy yummy...........wish those desserts would come right out of the pc to my table. Asha, I have been busy with janmashtmi, will be posting about it soon. By the way, all ur recipes look super-tasty and bet they do taste heavenly too. c ya around...bye

FH said...

Glad you liked them Meeta! Anything to make life easier!!
Spiced Apple is indeed a great lunch box item for your kid! That's mom's quick thinking right there :D :D
My kids eat at school cafe, thank God!One less worry for me!!A big Hug back! Thanks!!

Sra, I wanted to welcome you! Blog more, give us more!! cheers!!Thanks for visiting!!

FH said...

Thanks Shilpa! You could try it on the guests for sure! :)
I will look at it and see what I can do about your Tag and thanks again!

Thanks Saakshi! you are a busy traditional girl, aren't you? :D
Take it easy, blog when you can ,see you too!

Anonymous said...

I too am a big fan of chilly chicken and ur version looks delicious.I will be trying it out real soon.Btw,i've tried your baingan masala and we all loved it ssoo much..Thanks

FH said...

Thanks Annita, atleast you really tried and liked my recipe!! :D :D
I do appreciate your feed back and hope you will try more!! :)

Unknown said...

The cinnamon spiced apple looks interesting..will surely give it a try

FH said...

Cinnamon apple combo is a classic in US, tastes great together. One thing, you should use sweet Cinnamon in this , not dalchini we use in Indian dishes which is spicy tasting!:)