September 19, 2006

BUTTERNUT SQUASH WAFFLES AND INDIAN STIR-FRY!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL OF YOU!! ( Oct. 2006 )

This is my entry to Meeta's FMR "PUMPKIN " ! I am sending my Harry Scary to you and make sure you let him be! Scary is little stiff from just lying there for eternity !! ( Hey! Harry Pumpkin is fresh , don't get any ideas!!) :D :D

Posted by Picasa
It is still too early get a round red halloween pumpkins atleast here since Halloween is on Oct.30th and this entry should in by Sept.21st! Butter Squash also a kind of pumpkin, so hope you will like my recipes and my Harry Scary!! :)

Recipe is Pumpkin Waffles and oops! I just found out that I had to cook pumpkin with a Indian twist! Oh well!! have one 'Indian' recipe too! Cook Away!!! :D :D


How To Prepare Butternut Squash:
Cut off the ends of the squash. Quarter the squash, then to cut each section in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard. Using a sharp knife or peeler, remove the peel.Cut into desired pieces.Cook and puree in a blender if you need the ground pulp.You can also grill the pieces with spices, use in Indian dishes, soups, desserts and Quesadillas!!

BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN WAFFLES: ( Serves 2 )

Posted by Picasa

TO MAKE WAFFLES YOU NEED:

1 cup all-purpose flour,1/8 cup sugar,1/2 tbsp baking powder,1/4 tsp cinnamon pd,1/2 tsp pumpkin spice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 egg, 3/4 cup milk,2 tbsp melted butter, 1/4 cup pumpkin puree.(cooked and ground to paste)




In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, spice and salt.In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, and butternut/pumpkin puree. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and stir just until combined.




Posted by PicasaCoat the preheated waffle iron with no-stick cooking spray. Pour the waffle batter onto the center of each section of the waffle maker.You will need about 1/4 cup of batter for each waffle.Cook the waffles for about 2-3 minutes or until they are crispy and light brown. Do not burn! Follow your waffle maker's instruction.



Serve: Warm waffles with maple syrup, butter or any fruit toppings (spiced apples) and scrambled eggs with bacon.Don't forget a glass of icy cold orange juice to finish off your breakfast!! :) Good start for a lazy Sunday!!

BUTTERNUT PUMPKIN INDIAN STIR-FRY:

Posted by Picasa

YOU NEED:

2 cups chopped butternut pieces,Cilantro,Salt.
To Season:
2 tbsp Oil/butter
1 tsp mustard seeds,1 tsp chana dal
1/2" ginger minced,Curry leaves
1 onion chopped
2-4 Fresh green chillies,chopped


HOW TO:
Heat oil/butter, add all the seasoning ingredients one by one and fry until onion is reddish.Put in diced pumpkin pieces,2 tbsp water and stir-fry for 5mins. Turn down the heat,cover and cook until soft,almost dry but not mushy. Add in salt and cilantro.




Serve this pumpkin stir-fry with "Indian Crepes" if you want to say it in style :D or you can serve with good old dosas , ghee and any chutney you like!!ENJOY!!

Posted by Picasa


For Dosa recipe click here.

For Chutney recipe click here.

Articles and recipes are referred from these sites:
Pumpkin Waffle recipe is from Family fun magazine
Indian stir-fry recipe is from YOUR'S TRULY!!!! :)

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely recipes Asha. Waffles look yummy & this stir-fry is my favorite..I add coconut but for onion. Will try this version.

Anonymous said...

i can see a lot of hard work in that..nice work asha..the waffle recipe is quite innovative..photos r nice and the step by step instruction with photos are intersesting..happy HALLOWEEN to u too..

FH said...

Thanks Jaya! Fresh grated coconut is a good idea, will add next time!!

Anonymous said...

Wow..lovely recipes Asha. Never tried making waffles, let me give this a try :).

Krithika said...

Pumpkin waffle is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Stir-fry looks delicious

FH said...

Thanks Maneka! I made waffles first and then realised I had to make one Indian too, so Yeah! double work, but it's okay!!:)

Shilpa, I liked your banana leaf idlies, I will try that without banana leaf!! Thanks!!

Thank you Krithika! Two-in-recipes,turned out well in the end!! :D

Deepz said...

Hi Asha,
The waffle idea is very different. Im sure it tastes awesome and ure presentation looked very nice.

Prema Sundar said...

Nice recipes Asha .. and look at the pictures.. they look excellent.
Haven't tried waffles ..thanks for the recipe.
Stir fry looks so good..a very nice presentation.

Meena Kandlakuti said...

Nice presentation Asha...from here I start my pumpkin search:-
))..nice to know good recipes.Thanks for sharing

FH said...

Thanks Deepz! Waffles were tasty,almost like cake!!

Prema , thank you! Stir-fry goes very well with dosas, try it!

Meena! pumpkin recipes are in every blog these days, next will be Zucchini and sage, all Meeta's fault :))))Thanks!

Tree said...

I LOVE butternut squash! I can't wait to try the Indian version.

Menu Today said...

Hi Asha,
Like jayashree ,I too add coconut to pumpkin stir fry. Never tried this curry with dosa.Your waffle looks very nice. Very Innovative idea.:-)

Anonymous said...

Hello Asha,

The pumpkin waffle looks really good and your presentation is awesome.. Would try some soon

Sushma

Keshi said...

Pumpkin is one of my FAV veges. I can make nice n hot Sri Lankan pumpkin curry.

those pics look so YUMMY!

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

Hi Asha, butternut squash waffles look wonderful, as does the stirfry. I sometimes use this squash in place of pumpkin for pies in the fall. Thanks for sharing :)

Ashwini said...

Those waffles sound yummy...not a scary breakfast at all...(oh wait maybe the calories are:-))

FH said...

Ashwini!! Eat up!!! calories shmalories!! :)))) Thanks...

Squash pie sounds wonderful , squash is naturally so sweet ,it works well with pies indeed !! Thanks Linda!!

Tree! you could replace green chillies with crushed pepper if you like for stir-fry !

FH said...

Thanks MT! Stir-fry goes very well with dosas and hot spicy chutney!

Sushma, thank you, hope you will try :) I will put up enngayi next week!! Check back!!

Keshi, I would LOOOve to know abt hot and spicy curry! Post it!! Thank you girl!!

Vaishali said...

Look at that Dosa! What a smooth complexion it has!! I know this post of yours is dedicated to pumpkin, but I just can't stop raving about the Dosa. And you know what, I too make this pumpkin stir-fry. And I often pop it into some yogurt once it is cool to make Raita. Should try serving the stir-fry with a Dosa next time.

wheresmymind said...

It's been Halloween in the stores around here since August!! lol

FH said...

You are right abt dosa, Vaishali! This time I used electric pancake griddle, it came out uniformly golden,so I put it up there!:)
Adding yoghurt to sir-fry is another good idea, thanks, will do it next time !! Now I am going to check out your Raita!!

FH said...

Lucky You , W!! All we see here are plastic pumpkins for candies and lot of noisy screaming skulls!! :) But I suspect Halloween pumpkins (real one's) are going to appear very shortly...

Anonymous said...

Hi Asha,
I had left a comment earlier...
Both waffel and palya looks delicious....I make palya but with out onions.sure will try with onions next time.Thanks for the recipes.
About the sambar powder you have asked, i got that from India..Made by my mom. I'll ask her for the recipe and send it to you.

Anonymous said...

Asha, Halloween dishes are simply superb! I am sure you have had a great time cooking these yummm yummmm dishes....HAPPY HALLOWEEN ! in advance....:)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Asha! Pumpkin Stir Fry, looks awesome. Gotta, gotta try that out!

Thanks for the entry.

Anonymous said...

yummy stir fry. nice twist.

FH said...

Hope you will try, Meeta! Thanks for replying my entry and can't wait for the round up :)

Madhu! thanks in advance for sambhar pd!!:))) I didn't get last comment, bad hotmail, but it's okay :D

Yes it was fun, Lera! Hard work too but worth it!! Thanks! :)

Unknown said...

Wish I had a waffle maker, I'd try out your waffles right now! Does the stir fry taste sweet though?

FH said...

Hope you had a great little break!!Buy a waffle maker, India has everything we have in US and more!! We might as well ship out of here!:)But definitely more Moola here for Doctors than in India, I am sure!!
Yes!! Pumpkin sir-fry is sweet,balanced with 3 hot chillies it has it's divine taste with bland dosa and a spicy chutney! I love it! Try once! Don't miss the chole-Bhatura, check it out!Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

With a butternut squash in the fridge for the past several days, I was looking for some recipes. I might try this stir fry. Thanks for sharing.

FH said...

Yes rp!! Put that squash to work!!:)) Trust me, you will love this stir-fry with dosa!!Feedback please, if you try!!

Amanda said...

Tried the stir fry this week and it was awesome! I packed it in my lunch too, as a wrap with some yogurt on the side. Perfect!

Thanks for another great one.

FH said...

You are welcome Amanda. This stir fry my fave to eat with soft dosas.Glad you tried it and liked it!:))