June 09, 2010

Matar-Paneer Makhani/Butter Masala, Layered Wheat flour and Flax Seeds Powder Parathas, Multi Dal Masala Vada, Mango-Ricotta Kalakand

We had the hottest 2 days of Spring season last weekend, blazing Sun with 94F and humid. We spent time in the Mall most of the time and then went to grocery shopping at 8pm after it cooled down a bit, we have never done that before even in Summer! Then it rained a bit on Sunday night, temp went down and we are breathing easy this week with lower 80F. But I read that it reached 110F in India in some states, so what am I complaining about, right? Hope you guys are well hydrated there in India. I think Indian kids are back in school while our kids will start the Summer holidays this week, time for me to plan for vacation soon and to take a short Summer blog break too.
Yes! I deep fried again last week. Somebody STOP me!!! ;D
But I did make very small amount of everything deep fried these days unlike before which used to last for 2 days, so it's not that bad. Just few something crunchy to snack on in the evening once a week on the weekend is okay I think.


Matar-Paneer Makhani(Greenpeas and Cheese in Butter masala):

I had bought a pack of Paneer last month, here is the second dish I made with leftover Paneer after I used it to make Paneer Omelet last time. Since it is a Makhnai/with butter dish, you have to add some butter, can't skip that. Although I like frozen Greenpeas for convenience and add a cup to Pulav etc, I prefer dried green or Yellow Peas to make side dishes with gravy, soaked and pressure cooked lightly which gives a whole different taste and texture than frozen Greenpeas. Makhani tastes great served with Parathas, Kulchas or Pooris. Here are Dal Maharani and Dal Bhukhara dishes I have posted before, I have posted Paneer Makhani too with slightly different recipe. This recipe is influenced slightly by Nita Mehta's "Amritsari Khaana" book with my own changes. Enjoy.

Prepare these first:
1. Soak 1 1/2 cup of dry green or Yellow Greenpeas overnight, drain the water, add 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, gently pressure cook until Peas are cooked but mashed. Keep aside. Slice Paneer into 1" cubes to fill 1 cup or more (I don't fry or saute Paneer in oil usually, just add directly to the gravy few minutes before I turn off the heat), set aside.
2. Grind 1 tbsp each of roasted and cooled Cashews, Walnuts and Almonds with some hot milk to smooth paste. Make this Garam Masala or roast and powder 1/2 Cardamom seeds, 1" Cinnamon, 3 Cloves, 2 tsp Cumin seeds and 1 tbsp Coriander seeds for a simple Garam masala mix you can use all of this for Makhani gravy.
To Make:
1. Heat 1 tbsp Butter+1 tbsp oil, add 1-2 Bay leaves, 2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste, saute. Add 1 cup finely minced onions, 1/4 tsp Turmeric and 1/2 tsp Sharwood brand Tandoori spice masala if you have it (optional) saute until soft.
2. Add 1/2 cup Tomato sauce, salt, 1 tsp sugar and enough Paprika or Kashmiri chili powder, stir on medium heat until butter shows up on top. Turn down the heat, add few tbsp of cold water.
3. Add in 1 cup fat free Half and half, simmer gently. Add cooked Greenpeas with it's water, simmer again until it bubbles, adjust the salt and chilli pd.
4. Add the ground Nut paste, 1 cup Paneer cubes, 2 tsp crushed Kasoori Methi, and 2 tsp Garam masala, mix gently and heat thru' for few more mins. Take the dish off the heat.
5. Sprinkle Cilantro and 1 tbsp Butter, let it melt on top before serving, tastes better the next day. You can reheat Makhani in the microwave.

Paneer-Matar Makhani
goes to Diana of "A little of Spain in Iowa" blog who is hosting "MLLA-24th helping" event this month which is started by Susan.
This dish also goes to Sara of "Sara's Corner"
and Sunita's event "Think Spice...Think-Garam Masala". Thanks to all of you for taking time.

Layered whole Wheat flour and Flax seeds powder Parathas:

Here is another way to fold Parathas. I always keep looking for new ways to fold the layered Parathas because they make Parathas so soft and it's fun to make them as well. Last month I found a pack powdered Flax seeds at the store, so I keep adding about 2-3 tbsps to Whole wheat/atta to make Parathas or to bread, makes them healthy. I love Flax seeds chutney powder and Flax seeds Parathas made with it too.

To knead:
1. Take 2 cups of Whole Wheat flour, 2-3tbsps of Flax seeds powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp oil in a bowl, mix well. Add warm water to knead and make a soft dough but not sticky dough.
2. Brush some oil on the dough, cover the bowl and let it rest for 2 hours. Make layered Parathas.
3. Heat a Tava/Griddle and bake Parathas. Brush some ghee on top when you take them out.

How to fold:

1. Divide the dough into 8-10 portions, make balls. Roll each one out to about 6-7" circles, brush with oil lightly, sprinkle some flour on top.
2. Follow the step by step pics to fold the parathas as shown in the collage to make them. Click on the photo to make it bigger. Roll out again to 6" circle and cook on Tava.
3. Enjoy them with any gravy dish.

Multi Dal Masala Vada:
Here they are, the dreaded(:D) deep fried multi-dal (ala Adai) masala vadas I loved! I used 4 kinds of dals together with other spices and used a American style food chopper grinder to make a very coarse paste like the size of Bulgar Wheat (did not use Indian grinder Sumeet this time which grinds to a very fine paste) to get a very crunchy texture and mixed the thick batter with some Besan later to hold them together into round shapes, something different than I usually make like this flat Chana dal-Dill vadas.

To make Multi-Dal Masala Vada:
1.
Soak 2 tbsp each of Chana dal, Urad dal, Moong dal and Tuar dal for few hours, drain and add to the food processor, grind until you get a coarse textured mixture. Take out in a bowl.
2. Add 1/4 cup minced Onions, 2 tsp grated Ginger, 1/2 tsp dry red Chilli flakes, 2 green chillies minced, 1/4 tsp Ajwain, 1/2 tsp crushed Aniseeds, 2 tsp crushed Coriander seeds, minced Cilantro, minced curry leaves, 1tbsp or more if needed Besan/Gram flour just to bind them together, not too much, salt and few pinches of Baking soda and mix well.
3. Don't add water, dough should be thick enough to make balls. Heat oil to 375F, drop in medium sized balls of Vada dough and fry until golden and crunchy.
4. Serve with coconut chutney or just as they are with coffee.

Ricotta Mango Kalakand:

Looking at the (Indian) blogs these days with all those mango dishes they are posting making me feel like jumping on the plane and fly to India just to have few juicy Mangoes! Aroma of ripe Mangoes brings back lot of childhood memories for most of us who grew up in India.
But unfortunately Spanish Mangoes I get here are no match for what we are used to in India, best I can get close to that taste is canned Alphonso Mango Pulp.
I had made Mango Lassi weeks ago, had some Mango pulp leftover and when I saw the tub of Ricotta (bought it to make Rasmalai which never happened) in the fridge, I made this easy and delicious sweet called Kalakand which is made of thickened sweetened milk traditionally, a very popular dessert in North Karnataka but I used thick Ricotta cheese, added Mango pulp to it for easy Kalakand. My kids enjoyed these more since it involved Ricotta Cheese!! ;D

To make easy Ricotta-Mango Kalakand:
Get all these ingredients first and add to non-stick wide mouthed pan:
1. Place 2 tbsp ghee, 15oz tub of low fat Ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup or more Brown sugar as per your taste, 1 cup canned Alphonso Mango pulp, 1/2 tsp Powdered Cardamom, pinch of salt, Pinch of saffron threads, 2 tbsp slightly toasted, crushed Almond slivers or Pistachios.
2. Heat the mixture until bubbly, turn down the heat to medium low and keep on stirring until it's thick and creamy.
3. When it stars to leave the sides of the pan, add to a lightly buttered plate, let it cool and cut into pieces. Kalakand will be soft and moist, sometimes scoopable with a spoon if it's softer which is excellent to serve topped with a little whipped Cream. Enjoy.

Colorful Ricotta-Mango Kalakand goes to Srivalli of "Spice your life" blog's "Kid's delight-Natural colors" event.

Movies:
We watched an old movie called "Mackenna's Gold" again which I had watched as a teenager, loved it. I have been planning to watch one old movie as a family every Sunday evening, so my kids can remember these times when they are all grown and middle aged! Haha!! With most handsome Gregory Peck, Telly Savalas, Omar Sheriff, this movie was so good to watch on the new digitally remastered DVD. All of these actors have passed away now but they live forever in our hearts and memories! :)

Watched "Shutter Island" on DVD yesterday. Movie is based on a novel by Dennis Lehane who is also the author of "Mystic River", which was also made into movie directed by Clint Eastwood, won an Oscar for actor Sean Penn few years ago.
Shutter Island is not such a bad movie over all, visually good, little weird plotwise, didn't make much money when it was released but good acting by Ben Kingsley and Leo DiCaprio. Okay to watch once I guess.

Book:
I have been listening to Maya Angelou's CD books "Still I Rise" and "Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer". Her life, thoughts, poetry and her voice are all really inspiring.

Have a wonderful weekend my friends! :)

109 comments:

Dershana said...

lovely layered parathas , i am yet to post a picture of your lovely flax chutney powder :-)

love those crisp vadas too.

Indian Khana said...

Wow that's looks like feast ...love everything...vada looks so gud n kalakand...yummy...drooling here

jayasree said...

Matar paneer masala looks very inviting. Good idea to add flaxseeds powder to chappathi dough. I usually add the seeds while grinding for Adai. Mango kalakand is delicious.

Here in Keral monsoon is yet to set in, but the temp has surely dropped.

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Asha, hopped in to check out ur version of makhani with half-half. I liked ur idea of using dry peas but I still prefer the frozen, just boil and use.
Once a week frying and that too a small quantity should not be that bad :-)
Kalakand looks delicious dear.

Sharmila said...

Come Wednesday and it is feast time for us Asha! :-)
Every dish looks awesome!

Pavani said...

Happy Wednesday Asha. All the dishes look awesome especially mango kalakand and matar-paneer makhani. Quick question, dried peas once pressure cooked leave their skins behind, how do you deal with that? It's going to rain today and it is cooler, hoping for the weekend to be drier. Have a great rest of the week.

Nandinis food said...

School starts next month. Yeah, temperature went up to 47 degrees here. But then, there were showers and weather's quite nice.
The matar-paneer makhni's really lovely and yummy! Adding flax seeds' powder to the parathas are healthy! The mango-ricotta kalakand is excellent and mouthwatering! It may sound weird but I couldn't find Alphonso mangoes here. I'm upset 'bout it. :<

FH said...

Thanks girls, glad you liked the dishes. Deep fried Masala vadas were gooood! :D

Pavani, I keep the heat to medium when cooking any beans in Pressure cooker so it can cook slowly still holding the shape without skins falling off or floating. When on high heat, Peas get mashed which I don't like.
One way to clean out the skins which are floating on top is to scoop them out gently.Sometimes after soaking, I give it a vigorous stir with water so most loose skins fall off even before cooking but cooking on low heat works for me better!:)

Finla said...

Upi deep fried again, I want to come over :-)
Pattar paneer looks so so good that must have gone well with those layered parathas. And you made so much Mango Kalakand, tha tjust lloks so so good.
Going to make for S class some 40 cupcakes for tomorow as they ar ehaving a party in the last lesson of Latin :-)

FH said...

Finla, had to use the whole tub of Ricotta before the expiry date, so yeah! We ate that Kalakand for 4 days as dessert after dinner, few pieces a day! :D

Unknown said...

Yehh it's hoooooott hear in andhra Asha but it's little raining today...
nice parathas ican see the layeres humm, mutter paneer in a new way will try this for sure,mango kalakand am drooling here. every thing looks so tempting yummmm

Parita said...

What a visual treat you got here Ashaji..love those masala wadas and layered parathas...step by step pics are quite helpful!

Umm Mymoonah said...

All dishes looks so yummy and mouthwatering Asha.

Sushma Mallya said...

Its like a treat whenever i come to your blog...so many yummy looking dishes, really mouthwatering esp the kalakand...seems like a must try one...

Anita said...

Wow, I was looking for paratha or roti with flaxseeds for quite a long time, thank and the mango ricota is just lovely. thanks for sharing.

Sumi said...

Its raining badly today....Your masala vadas are perfect on such days.want to grab some of those..:)

sharada said...

Now that is a healthy paratha...i need to try it for sure.And those kalakand made my mouth water..drooling!!

indosungod said...

What a delightful array of dishes Asha. I can't decide which one I want first. I will settle for the the kalakand and follow it up with the rest.

Nehal said...

Mango Ricotta Kalakand sounds yummy!! About the paratha, such a good idea to use flax seeds powder!!. I have flax seeds Powder at home too, I end up using it while having yogurt. I will try to add the powder in paratha/rotis from now on.

Purnima said...

Asha..all the dishes look tempting! Loved the ricotta mango kalakand. Made mango mousse frm Spicyana today :) The temperatures r truly soaring..we hv had a consistent 48-50 C (114F) furnace hot..I even walked without realising for an hour in that blazing sun! Uff..
Feels good to read ur posts! :)

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

Ohho what a spread Asha!!! you got me drooling at the paneer makhani and masala dal vada. lovely crisp deep fries...perfect to celebrate the onset of monsoon with some spicy chutney. yum

Priya said...

I love the flax seed idea to roti and also the multi vada.

When did u start cooking snail Asha:))

Just kidding. Your roti roll looks like a snail to me.

FH said...

Thanks to all of you, enjoy the dishes.

Priya, after a read your comment, for a moment I thought "Snails? Where? Ahhh..!!" and then I read the rest of your comment and was relieved! :D

lata raja said...

Mango kalakhand...I'm tempted. Truly said, It is fun folding and rolling parathas differently. The layered paratha looks quite soft.
I pulse the dhals, not run the grind mode for vadais. The whole post is a feast spread.

sra said...

Love the nomenclature Multi-Dal ... And is that Somebody Stop Me! a cry for help or a dare? :)

Love Gregory Peck, and the scene where the walls of the canyon start glinting in gold and all of them look at it amazed.

I am now re-reading a Famous Five, after a serious but absorbing book on the Nigerian civil war.

Vrinda said...

Lov everything,all packed with nutrients..yum yumm

Bong Mom said...

Asha

Mango Kalakand is such a grand idea !!! I like your idea of watching movies as a family so that kids can remember later. How sweet

FH said...

LOL! Sra, that's more like cry for help! Can't stop the cravings right now but will try harder. Yeah! Silly gold paint on the stone walls, funny.

Sandeepa, really enjoying the old movies on Sundays now as a family. I have started collecting the classic old movies too!:))

Swathi said...

Asha,

you have always scrumptious meals. I love all the dishes you made especially mango ricotta kalakand.

shankari said...

that kalakand is calling out to me. I was asking if I can make rasamalai for them. I am changing my mind now

Anonymous said...

I can eat masala vada anytime.As usual great pictures.

Shalini

Sandhya said...

Ohh I am hungry for some of those paranthas!! The spread is awesome!

Urmi said...

Lovely and delicious food. I cannot resist myself seeing all tempting dishes. Parathas looks excellent as well as matar paneer which is my favourite. Wonderful presentation.

arthi said...

Hi Asha,
Like all your recipes. kalkand looks so tempting. Like to have your masala vadas with tea. Thanks for sharing!!

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a fabulous spread, am ready to have that flax seeds paratha with matar paneer makhani..yummy, look at that multi dal, very crispy..

Send me some mango kalakand, drooling here..

Sreelu said...

Asha, multidal vada looks so good, love old movies they make such good family night movies, its fun to watch them with the kids.

Suganya said...

Makhani looks so creamy and yummy.

Loved the idea of using different dals in masala vada, really want to give it a try.

BTW, never tried having kalakand with whipped Cream. Will try that also next time. YUM!

Shammi said...

Wow, I was planning to make parathas with flax seed powder too, this weekend! :) You beat me to the punch!

Asha, Mackenna's Gold is one of my MOST FAVOURITE MOVIES EVER! I've watched it so many times and I still am not tired of it. Gregory Peck is such a hunk. I just wish (every single time) that the stupid blonde girl would just disappear, it would make the movie much better :D

Ideally I'd have a couple of your awesome adai vadas to keep me company while I watched this movie... :)

FH said...

Thanks girls, enjoy. Have a great night. See you all tomorrow!:)

Shyam, true! That blonde even had a weird accent too, was little hard to understand her!:D
Gregory Peck; I think God threw the mould after he made him, nobody compares to him, he was so handsome!:)

Rachana said...

Wow!!!! What a delicious treat :-) I loved everything here especially the flax seeds powder parathas.

Champa said...

Oh my god, How many recipes in each post? I am awed by your patience in combining them so well. All of them are my favorites except I have never eaten flax seed parathas. Anything that is deep fried must taste good. I should try mango ricotta kalakand soon.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Kalakand looks fabulous... Kadlebele vade mind blowing...It is raining out here and Kadlebele vade would have been perfect right now ...

Divya Kudua said...

Matar paneer looks too good,absolutely droolworthy.Parathas look easy to make too,haven't tried flaxseed yet.You are in a deep-frying spree these days..hehe!!

Meera said...

Loved your feast. Drooling!!

Pravs said...

mouthwatering dishes..look at that matar paneer makhani..must have been so yum with those parathas..and then snack on some vada's and finish off with kalakand :)

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

Truely tempting spread of dishes..Love it

Anu said...

Wow..mango kalakand looks awesome..which i have seen for the first time....i will definitely try this on coming weekend..

Rach said...

The layered wheat flour and flax seed powder paranthas looks so yumm and healthy :).The multi dal masala vada is very new for me, will try sometime. starter, main course and dessert all in one post... great :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Again a post for me to bookmark. Love that Makhani with peas. Must to try:) Paratha technique is much like a TamilNadu parotta, but using wheat flour seems so healthy. Good one dear. This vadai is totally new to me. So you used the blender to get that texture! Mine always gets very smooth and not crispy like this. I will keep it in mind:) Kalakhand with ricotta makes me drool. well said , the Mexican mangoes tastes very watery to me and I have almost forgotten the taste of real mango!
Going to mall in the summer is a great idea to stay safe. Hubby gets irritated when I ask for, because I always drag him so much that he gets exhausted, while I never get bored in a mall..hi..hi.

Usha said...

What a fabulous spread, everything looks fantastic ! Loved the layered parathas and the kalakand makes me want to reach out and take one through my screen :-)

suvi said...

Oh I saw the mango kalakand and forgot everything else that you have whipped up!
Last two weeks have been great, mom and dad are here, they are cooking and I am watching and eating. Bliss.
Maybe I should make it for them :)

Mackenna's Gold is the FIRST movie I saw with the now husband then boyfriend, but guess who I stared at ;)

Rach said...

What's adobo chicken? do you have a recipe in ur blog? do give me the links, I may be interested to have a look at it :)

lissie said...

layered parathas and mattar ppaneer makhani... great combo! loved the color of kalakand...yummy!

FH said...

Rach, here is the link for Adobo chicken I have made and posted before,scroll all the way down. It's very tasty and easy to make dish too. Hope you try!:)

http://www.foodieshope.org/2007/08/shahi-bell-peppers-and-shahi-almond.html

GayathriRaj said...

I always try paratas but dint get any layers...ur pics impressed a alot and i think it wil help me a lot in trying it again and with good result...

Ash said...

Yummy preps again.... I loved the Dil Vada & the mango kalakand is my favorite of all... The look is yummy & so is the prep..... I am sure I would have a blast with every bite.... But I must admit the last 3 pics of the parata got me feel eerie.... The second but last is a perfect snail..... Don't get me wrong, but nice work of art with dough..... ;-)

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Lisa Johnson said...

I've been debating whether to see Shutter Island. I'm really curious about it. Maybe I'll check it out. Have a good weekend! ; )

FH said...

Ash, it does look like snail, doesn't it? ;D

Anali, Shutter Island is just an okay movie, nothing much to write about, can watch once. Enjoy the movie! :)

Cham said...

OMG 90 Deg , here the weather is up and down, that made me sick again with sore throat, fever, etc...
I love the crispy vadas with dill and the mango kalakand no way so say "NO".
School will be closing next week, will be going soon on vacation :)

Red Chillies said...

It was almost 102 F here in Texas last weekend... only 3 more months to go :-(( Agree about the temperatures in India. My dad was telling that in Gulbarga it is 45F and that too people do not have AC. Atleast we are blessed.

all the food looks yummy. Loved the flax seeds powdered paratha a new concept.Of course the masala vada and mango kalakand are to die for!

FH said...

Cham, I got another allergy shot yesterday! It's terrible. Take care. Me too, planning to go on vacation soon, will be on blog break for a month! :)

RC, I was thinking that too, we have AC and indoor Malls to relax and enjoy at least. Can't imagine that kinda 110F heat. Phew!

starry said...

love the layered parathas.Did not know they sell flax seed powder.I have to get some.I usually grind some flax seeds and put it in my cereal.

AJ said...

Wonderful recipes Asha!! Kalakand looks super.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Love the flax seed parathas. Like the detailed pictures of layered parathas. everything is so tempting here...specially mango kalakand..thanks for sharing these. Well done

Deepa

M D said...

Loved this recipe for Matar-Paneer Makhani and your Mango-Ricotta Kalakand is must try Ashakka. Also using Flax seed powder in parathas is a must try. Nice way to include Omega-3 into our diets!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Hi Asha
Just shared few awards with you. please accept those...
Hamaree Rasoi

Anisheetu said...

wow what a treat in this post...yum yummm... I loved the mango ricotta kalakand... delicious post...

Jaishree Iyer said...

All the food looks yummy Asha . Loved the flax seeds powdered paratha a new concept. Love that Makhani with peas. The multi dal masala vada is very new for me, will try sometime. Kalakand looks fabulous.. delicious treat :-)

FH said...

Thanks girls. Deepa, I will be there in a minute to pick it up! :)

Starry, you do get a small pack Flax seeds powder, I keep it in the fridge so it doesn't go rancid and use it to make quick chutney powder.Freshly ground powder is even better, retains more nutrients. Don't use the whole Flax seeds, they say that they don't digest, just pass thru' your system as whole.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful recipes; That Masala Vada looks amazingly tempting!

Love Maya Angelou! If y ou get a chance listen to her Audiobook "Even the Stars Look Lonesome." She recites it herself and what a treat!

Best Wishes and Enjoy the Summer.
Arun

SE said...

everything looks so yummy...loved the idea of using mango pulp in making the kalakand..am gonna try this for sure !

Mona said...

:) but nothing like the fresh green peas from pods specially the ones you get in North India during the winter season. So sweet & savory!

I like layered paratha. Also the sri lanka or the lacchaa paratha!

True, the mangoes are spread aplenty all around these days!

Unknown said...

u too experienced the 90's ...thank god it rained for u too, here its been unsually winter-like climate for past few days and this week too...I am loving every bit of it though :) .....I too add flax seed powder and now when it got over, I got the whole seeds from indian store....The mattar paneer looks good, I light add soya instead of paneer....the preview of shutter island kind of looked scary, maybe after reading your review, I might watch it on netflix if its come in the queue.

Malar Gandhi said...

Nice layered parathas, Never used flax seeds yet' planning to try them soon:) Loved ur multi-dhal vadas, they look amazingly crispy to me. Mangoes are killing me too, good idea to include mangoes in kalakand, looks super-delish.

Have a happy weekend, thanks for all those quick-lovely comments:)

FH said...

Mona, good to see you. Yes, I remember basketful of fresh Peas from pods my mom and I used to peel, the best. I haven't seen those in 20+ years!:(

Roopa, glad to hear temp has gone down there. For us 94F today and tomorrow and dry, my allergy is killing me!

Malar, you are welcome! ;)

suma said...

What a spread here, drool.. drool..:-))

Myvegfare said...

Loved the flax seed powder in parathas, Great Idea!!thanks, Mmm., matar-paneer makhani is gorgeoous and the best is Mango and Ricotta kalakand!!, Even the dal vada is so colourful.., I know which I am going to try out soon.., Lovely clicks too..,

Reshmi said...

hey asha...mango ricotta looks delicious....matar paneer makhani looks fabulous...in simply....itz treuly amazing...

Srivalli said...

Awesome feast Asha...Each of your dishes sounds very inviting..:)..thanks for the lovely kalakand...I made a microwave version which came out very well too..

amna said...

what a feast!

Jayashree said...

Lovely array of dishes....I think I like the mango kalakand best, though.....

FoodLovers said...

gr8 Feast asha ... loved ur mango kalakand ..
all the dishes looks lovely dear ..oh girl making me hungry with all the dishes around..

Shriya said...

Very nice parathas. Looks yummy and delicious. Vada looks really good.

Padmajha said...

Don't make me drool so much Asha,I can't take my eyes off the monitor now!!!I just got a pack of flaxseeds and was looking for some ideas and will surely try the parathas.As for the movie,I remember dad talking about it when was I was a schoolgirl and he narrating the story and how he went along with his friends to watch it and me hearing them like its happening rite in front of me.One fine day it came to the theater nearby and we went and watched it there and I was so happy to see dad relive his younger days!!!

Archana said...

Lovely pics, your kalakand looks awesome ! And next time you have hot weather there, think of me - its 117 F here in ahmedabad - its crazy, and dont complain !!! Its ridiculously hot, the only good thing being, baking is super easy, with the yeast rising beautifully :)

FH said...

Thanks to all of you girls, enjoy the milder weather here and in India too! :)

Arch, I know! I must stop complaining, compared to Indian heat, it's nothing here ofcourse! :D
I heard that it's raining there in India now and lot less cooler compared to few weeks ago, looks like Monsoon is here.

Sunitha said...

Yum! There are so many of those dishes and they are all scrumptious. The heat is getting on my nerves too. Even now its quite hot outside I hope it would rain.

Veggie Belly said...

what a feast! i love that flax seed paratha.

Ameya said...

Hi Asha,
That mango kalakand looks soo yummy...as does everything else! I have been wanting to try kalakand, and this recipe looks perfect :)
Your blog is fantastic-filled with wonderful recipes!! Ive recently started my own blog-The Spice Savant-and would love to get your feedback. Feel free to check it out at http://www.spicesavant.blogspot.com at your convenience.

Soma said...

Oh I do really like these parathas and the little snail way that you made them! Cute.

But my fav. here has to be the vadas. So goooooood.

Rekha said...

It's pouring dog's and cats here in bangalore accompanied by clinic visits and tone of soggy tissues. Nonetheless, I love the rains.:)
The idea of using dals sounds interesting. Flaxseeds in parathas, that's interesting too.

Prajusha said...

mango ricotta looks mouthwatering..
www.icookipost.com

Sukanya Yogesh said...

I wish I could lay my hands on the screen and grab all of the goodies you have dished out...your family sure is lucky to have such a wonderful cook at home.

Shri said...

I love those parathas, Asha:) You are too good with the rotis..

A_and_N said...

everyting looks so great! You have some patience to cook in this heat!

Gattina Cheung said...

Asha, I do deep-frying everyday :P :P well, I find it suitable to my diet... as I only deep-fry a very small amount each time (unlike baking I can't avoid a big batch).
wow, this folding method yields so many layers to the parathas, will do it when I come back from my vacation (I am going to HK...)
Have a lovely summer my friend!

Rajani said...

yummy spread as usual, asha! paneer makhani with dried peas is definitely inspiring, though the masala with 3 different kind of nuts is leaving me confused, is it for a thick gravy? or does the taste of the individual nuts stand out at all, i know cashew is used to thicken butter masala gravys, interesting ides though. super idea with flaxseeds, i do add a spoonful in my kids food, but i think i'll go ahead and add some to our regular chappati dough as well!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Lots of yummy food again, Asha.
Never thought to add flax seed powder to parathas. That's something I need to do.

That kalakhand has my name on it, I think. :D
Yes, we are enjoying the mango season, the only thing enjkoyable in this HOT summer. LOL
Though the rains have come now.

J said...

I have ricotta in the fridge waiting to become ras malai, but now I'll make the kalakand....it's so gorgeous! We have been enjoying the Indian mangoes here.... cannot compare them to any other varieties! Enjoy the summer!

FH said...

Thanks girls, have a wonderful rest of the week!:))

Rajani, I usually us Almonds to add to any dish to make it creamy.This time I had box of mixed Nuts to snack on, so I added all of them! Tastes great. Walnuts in Chicken dishes makes a very creamy and nutty tasting gravy on it's own too. Try it!:))

Anonymous said...

http://www.numkitchen.com/ your images copied here

FH said...

Thanks Anon for letting me know. I have let them know that either remove my image or link my post to that image. Can't believe some take all the credit for our hardwork so easily!

Kath said...

I especially love your layered parathas bread - they look fantastic! I love how you've rolled them (and thanks for the clear pictures on how to do it too). Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

hei...lovely post..just started blogging after a break and its nice to see such yummy recipes...njoy!!!

FH said...

Thanks Kath and Priya, have fun. I will start blogging in the new year!:)

Numkitchen said...

Numkitchen

Diversity is a most important aspect of Indian geography. Indian cuisine varies from region to region, reflecting the varied
traditions of the ethnically diverse subcontinent. Thanks so much.......

FH said...

That's the beauty of India, isn't it N? Every region has it's own unique cuisine and culture. We as Indians are very lucky to get the best of all these. Have a great week! :)

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

All dishes looks so yummy and tasty...nice presentation....

FH said...

Thanks Maha, enjoy :)