February 18, 2009

Haryanvi Cuisine: Pakodi di Kadhi, Jeera Chawal, Mooli de Paranthe, Gajar da Achar, Aloo Raita, Besan Pinni and Chhas!

Look who is wandering into the wonderful state of Haryana today!
Yes! It's that time for my favorite RCI event again and this month we are going to tour and taste Haryana, which geographically surrounds Delhi (India's Capital) on three sides, forming the northern, western and southern borders. I am not from Haryana and what I gather from reading about this state from various online websites is that it's cuisine and culture are similar to Punjab. So I am trying to do my best here to bring you few dishes from that region, so bear with me if you think they are not very authentic Haryanvi! :)

Here is what WIKIPEDIA says about Haryana:
"The name Haryana means "The Abode of God" from Sanskrit. Hari (the Hindu God Vishnu) and ayana (home), although it may also refer to the lush green landscape of the state (from Sanskrit harit meaning green).
Chandigarh is the capital of Haryana and the state of Punjab as well. Haryana was the cradle of Indus Valley and Vedic Civilizations, both flourishing on the banks of the now lost Saraswati river. Haryana contributed heavily to the Green Revolution that made India self-sufficient in food production in the 1960s. The state of Haryana has the 3rd highest Per Capita income in the country. It is one of the leading industrialized states of India and is considered to be the current major hub for the information technology and automobile industries."

About Haryanvi cuisine:
"Haryanvi cuisine is like the people of Haryana, simple, robust. The 'Land of Rotis' is an apt title for Haryana as people are fond of eating different kinds of rotis. Haryana is well known for it's agriculture and cattle wealth, so there is a abundance of milk, butter, ghee, Lassi, Thandai, Buttermilk and vegetables, which are similar to Punjab." These infos are from a Haryana tourism website. Here is my RCI Punjab post.

Regional Cuisine of India aka RCI event is started by LakshmiK and this month EC of "Simple Indian Food" is guest hosting and she has chosen Haryana (vegetarian dishes) as the state for February. Thanks for hosting EC. With all those wonderful information about Haryana, let's celebrate and cook something Haryanvi, shall we? :)


Haryanvi Thali:
(I had to get my "big gun" thali for this Haryanvi cuisine menu, smaller thali won't do! :D)
Besan (chickpea flour) Kadhi with Pakodi, Jeera (Cumin flavored) rice, Mooli (Radish) Paratha, Potato Raita, Carrot-ginger-garlic pickle, Besan Pinni and Chhas (a lightly spiced Buttermilk). Some salt sits in the middle of the thali and lemon slices and a green chilly just in case if you feel the urge to take a bite! :D


Let me type in how I made these first:
You see Kadhi Pakodi, Jeera Rice and Carrot pickle below, you enlarge this by clicking on the collage. Recipes follows.
Pakodi di Kadhi:
For making Kadhi:

1. Beat 1 cup fat free or light Sour cream with 3 cups of water and add 4 tbsp Besan (Chickpeas flour) with a whisk to avoid lumps. Add 1-2 sliced green chillies, 1 tsp or more salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp chilli pd, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp each of cumin seeds pd and Coriander seeds pd, 2 tsp ground ginger and keep stirring often, simmer gently until it bubbles and thickens slightly, may be for 1/2 to 1 hour. Do not heat on medium heat, sour cream might separate.
2. Add Besan pakodis, let them soak and simmer for a while and turn off the heat.
To make Besan Pakodis:
1. Mix 1 cup Besan, 1/2 cup minced onion, 1 potato peeled and chopped fine, 1/2" ginger grated, 1/2 tsp dry chilli flakes, salt, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp of baking pd, 1/4 tsp ajwain and add enough water to make a thick batter.
2. Deep fry small balls of these batter until golden and add to the above Kadhi.
Seasoning for Kadhi:
Heat 2 tsp ghee+1 tsp oil, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 2 dry chillies. When they splutter, add to the Kadhi and mix.

Jeera Chawal:
This is an easy ghee and cumin flavored rice to make for Kadhi, of course you can also serve Kadhi with plain rice.
1. Cook 2 cups of Basmati or long grain rice with 3 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp oil or ghee and pinch of salt or as you cook rice usually. Cool the rice a bit.
2. Heat 1-2 tbsp ghee, add 1 bay leaf and 1 tsp cumin seeds. When they are slightly golden, add to the cooked rice and mix well.

Gajar Achar:
Freshly made Carrot pickle lasts in the fridge about a week. You can also add pickle masala like SWAD brand if you have it or you can add freshly ground spices. I added some garlic and ginger slices to this too, tastes great with Mooli parathas.
Here it is:
1. Dry fry 2 tbsp reddish Mustard seeds, 1 tbsp (or 1/2 tbsp, if you don't like it too bitter) Fenugreek seeds and 2-4 (or more for spicy) dry red chillies and pound these coarsely. Keep aside.
2. Take 1 large Carrot, wash, dry, cut into 2" sticks, 1 tsp paprika for color, slice 3 garlic and 2" ginger, mix with 2-4 tbsp Lemon juice and enough salt.
3. Add ground pickle masala to Carrot etc and mix well. Tempering the pickle is optional, I didn't do it. Adjust the spices and salt, keep it in the fridge. You can use it immediately.

Alrighty, second batch now!
This part has Aloo raita, Mooli (Radish stuffed ) Paratha, Besan Pinni (a delicious dessert like Burfi) and Chhas, a lightly spiced Buttermilk to wash it all down, Haryanvi style! :)

Mooli de Paranthe:
Mooli stuffing:
1. Thickly grate Daikon or white Radish until you get about 2 cups or so, sprinkle some salt and let it rest for a while to draw out the water. Squeeze out the water to get dry Radish.
2. Mix with a bit of chilli pd or minced green chilles, tsp of grated ginger, few pinches of turmeric, 1/2 tsp cumin pd, enough salt, little Amchoor (Mango pd), 1 tsp besan or cornstarch to make it all come together.Divide into equal sized portions.
Paratha: Mix 2 cups wheat flour (Atta), salt, 2 tbsp oil or veg shortening, 1/2 tsp of baking powder(optional but makes it very flaky) and enough water to make a firm dough, make into equal sized balls and let it rest for an hour or so.
To make Mooli stuffed Parathas;
Roll out dough to 4" circle, place a Mooli stuffing, cover and carefully roll out to 5-6" circles and roast on Tava with a bit of oil until both sides are golden. Check this "Aloo parathas" post to see step by step photos of stuffing.

Aloo Raita:
1. Boil 1 or 2 Potatoes, peel and cube them, keep aside to cool them.
2. Beat 1 cup of plain thick yogurt, add salt, pepper, cumin seeds powder, pinch of Kala Namak, pinches of Chaat masala and few chopped mint and coriander leaves. Add Potato cubes and mix to chiil and serve.

Besan Pinni:
A typical Haryanvi dessert, we loved these. Tastes like Besan Laddoos we always make at home but better with Pistachios and easy to make too. They say that Pinni is the way they make these sweets squeezed in the fist of your palm. I made few of both shapes.
Here is how:
1. Sift 1/2 cup Besan well to avoid lumps.
2. Heat a non-stick pan with 2 tbsp ghee and add besan to it on low heat and keep stirring until it's roasted or until you smell the aroma. Do not burn it.
3. Add 1/2 cup powdered Sugar,1/4 tsp Saffron, 1 tsp ground cardamom, 1 tbsp toasted chopped Pistachios, mix everything very well and cook for 2 mins or until sugar is incorporated.
4. Take off the heat, add 1 or 2 tbsp of milk to it just until it's little wet but liquidy. Just enough milk so you should be able to pick up the dough and make shapes with your hand.
5. Traditionally, you take a lump of Besan mix, squeeze it gently to make a fist in your plam to get the finger prints on it like Gujarati Muthias. I made some of those until my palms started to get red and then put some in a small cup and inverted them to make the other shape.
6. Cover to keep. This recipe makes about 7-8 small pieces which is enough for us.

Finally, a Chhas:
A simple but tasty Buttermilk drink to accompany these thali dishes, somewhat like south Indian spiced buttermilk but lot less spicy! Here is my very tasty Karnataka style Majjige!
To make Chhas:
1. Beat 2-3 cups of thin Buttermilk with salt, taosted and ground cumin seeds powder, coarse pepper pd well until frothy. Few chopped mint and Cilantro on top to garnish and flavor would complete the picture! Serve with Lemon slices.
One more look without the Chhas there. This thali was delicious!! Enjoy and have a great weekend!!!


*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Tried and tasted dishes from other blogs:
Thanks to all of you for posting these yummy dishes! :)

Potato Muruku, from Vijaya.
Zucchini chutney, from Laavanya. (Added 1" ginger and 1 garlic to grind and tempered with mustard seeds)
Crowder peas Usal, from Meera. (Made this with some gravy to go with soft Idlis!)
Kollu Pongal, from Jayasree.

Thank you Yasmeen for "You are a sweetheart" award, photo is in the side bar. I think you are the SWEETEST gal! :)

Book I am currently reading is:
"Q and A" by Vikas swarup, which is available at Amazon. He is a Indian diplomat serving in South Africa, the book says. This is also his first novel which is converted in to 34 languages so far! This is THE book which inspired the movie "Slumdog Millionaire".
The main character here in this book is a waiter in Mumbai who won a billion rupees in a contest and his name is Ram Mohammad Thomas!! When they arrest him, police mocks him "What kind of name is that? Your mother couldn't decide who your father is?"
Intriguing enough for ya? I am still reading it, has 12 chapters which takes to every question of that contest and his life experiences in every stage and it's very enjoyable, much more interesting than the movie! :))

Have a wonderful Shivaratri celebration on the 23rd, see you all next week with what I made for Shivaratri, a smaller thali than this for sure! No fasting in my house for any reason! ;D

146 comments:

Poonam said...

Great platter as usual!! I have to give all these a try..I also tried ur madras onion sambar yday and it was a hit..thanks a lot

EC said...

I was expecting this grand thali from you....mouthwatering dishes, thanks for the entry

Finla said...

Next time when you take out your "big gun" thali just invite me over as that tali looks so professional. You know last time i even had a thali like this was when i was in India.
I am sure Aravind and kids are overjoyed every month when there is RCI. All the dshes look so yummy delicious.
Wish i was there to eat it.
Ican just drool here :-)

Chutneytales said...

Hi Asha,Wow..The thali is looking brilliant..No words dear..Your effort is simply great.

Deeba PAB said...

What a fab spread Asha...perfect in every bite! Well done indeed!! Sitting right here in Haryana, I have never been able to achieve so much!

Priya said...

New dishes and that Mooli stuffing is all new for me. Will sure try it Asha.

notyet100 said...

this platter looks so so yummy,..;-),..waitin for next spread,..:-)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Your blog inspires me a lot to cook eloborate meals like yours . Love that whole spread of dishes and our native style plates:) Every dish is awesome.
Should try this Radish paratha soon.
perfect thalli meals.. looks inviting dear.
Happy weekend and a blessed Shivarathri dear.

Dershana said...

Asha, you are fantabulous! Love those georgeous thalis you make. You make me feel so hungry, how I wish u were my neighbour and i could sneak into your kitchen :-)

Is it the baking powder that made those mooli parathas look so crisp?

Kannada Cuisine said...

Now that is a feast Ashakka!!
I bet your folks had a great time...

indosungod said...

What a wonderfuk thali Asha. I have to give the Gaja de Achar a try and those mooli paranthe. I have always wondered how the yogurt/buttermilk or sour cream (is it better than buttermilk) does not separate when on heat. So the key is to simmer on gentle heat?

Mojo said...

Nine AM and now I'm starving. Gonna be a very long day if I keep thinking about this one. Looks like an amazing spread!

FH said...

Thanks to all of you girls, your words always encourage me to strive for the best! :))

Yes Dershana. Let the dough rest for an hour or so with the baking pd and also adding some veg shortening to the flour helps to crisp them too! :)

Indo, beat the sour cream very well with a whisk and then add to almost cold pan and simmer for a long time stirring often. That way it will never separate.I do all the Yogurt sambhars with sour cream this way. To cool down the pan after seasoning, I add 1/2 cup cold water to the pan and then add sour cream. Always works! :))

Purnima said...

Asha, I truly need not mention hw beautiful that thaali n all the items/dishes look..ooh I m craving for it..but could u please let us all know the amount of time put in by the 'Superspeedy Asha'..merely for time mgt ..as in what time u started wt it n wen u cd finish (After u answer this one, of course I wd add 10 hrs if I make these! :D)

Sunshinemom said...

OMG! Asha, you have me drooling every time you post!! Your thalis are to die for!! Yummy parathas - mooli being my favorite, and besan pinni looks perfect!!

Ashwini said...

wow..wonderful tempting thali..Beautiful plate as usual..Everything looks so yummy no words to say..Wish I was near your house:-(..

ranji said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!i am dumbstruck Asha!!!For 5 whole mins i sat here staring at that thali with my mouth open simply admiring its beauty!!..I am woindering what i should do to get that thali right in my hands!!!U prepared so many things..lot of hardwork...Hats off to u!!!:)

Pavani said...

Everything looks yum Asha.. Never tried to use sour cream in a kadhi. will try it this time. Love the "big gun" thali too.

FH said...

Mojo, people have told me before that they don't log on to my blog when they are at work or they are hungry! ;D

Purni, as you know I am a multitasker and don't like to spend too much time in the kitchen once I am done. These took me about 5-6 hrs for the whole thali! :D

Harini, Ash and Ranji, DO NOT drool over your lappys! ;D

Sujatha said...

Girl, You're rocking with these thalis every week! And you're making me feel guilty in not cooking these elaborate meals :) I'm drooling here...

Malar Gandhi said...

As usual great inviting platter! Wonder what you'll cook, next time...each time!:) You make it with lot of care!

Mishmash ! said...

that's a clean picture perfect thali :)

Uj said...

Thali looks amazing.. I don't think I will ever be able to cook so many dishes at one stretch..Loved mooli parantha's

Sandhya said...

The thali as everyone already said is so inviting. all the delicious dishes together, makes me wonder when was the last time I cooked so many dishes together!

Pavithra Kodical said...

Happy shivarathri to you and your family..

Well spread thali..Using sour cream while making kadhi is new to me..
Besan pinni and mooli paratha are mouthwatering..Great entry :)

Deepa Hari said...

One more great post....What a lovely spread?....mouthwatering dishes...really appreciate your efforts and interest....i am hungry now.

Archy said...

Wonderful haryani thali Asha.. tempting presentation.. i'm hungry looking at the thali..
Yesterday i was just reading abt Haryana an today feast for my eyes :)!!

Anjali Koli said...

An impressive thali. Besan pinni is a new learning for me.

Anonymous said...

woww..what a spread! i just had brunch now and you are making me hungry again! :)..platter looks delishhhhhhhh! i am just curious..how much time did it take for you to cook the entire thali??:)

Cham said...

I think I will feel more warm and confortable if I move around NC, just to pick any leftover after each RCI! An excellent spread Asha!

Laavanya said...

Yet another delicious, elaborate thali from you.. must've been a feast!

FH said...

Kalpana, read my reply to Purnima up there! Hahaha!!

Recipeswap said...

Wonderful spread Asha,I especially liked Mooli paratha with the achar.yummo.Your family must have gorged on the feast.

Margie said...

Each time I came here, I'm in awe!
Asha, you surpass yourself each time you post here.
And, I'm really hungry now looking at your platter.

I think your family must love having such a great cook!
Thanks, Asha!

Margie

VIDYA VENKY said...

hi asha,
lovely post..i already feel hungry...i shall try one such cusine this weekend...ur blog inspires me alot.....

Manasi said...

As usual A FULL MEAL .. not surprising though, the superwoman that u are!!!

Altoid said...

Hey Asha

This is food for thought. I've never tasted a traditional Haryanvi thaali, perhaps next time I have people over....I could shoot for this. Though I'll probably have to upgrade my plates :P.

Aside, I read Q&A long before I watched Slumdog and I far preferred the book. Enjoy :).

Manju said...

yaayyy..i was waiting for this...n OMG!!!! totally mindblowing!!! LOVE everything on the thali..even the green chillies n salt ;P next time pls invite me over...:)

Unknown said...

Your thalis are always amazing, I want to try your mooli paratha, looks different than usual.

Deepthi Shankar said...

man, you seriously have soo much patience to cook an entire thali .. I'd love that thali .. yum yum

Smita said...

wow Asha!!! When you cook, you go all out!!!:):)...I have a similar recipe for kadhi that I use with some more spices that I will post soon but yours seems simplers and easier...will try that too...And I love carrot pickle...going to try that too....

FH said...

Smitha, do post your's too. There are so many variations in making this Kadhi, each one is delicious. More recipes we have, better for us to enjoy! :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Cant stop drooling Asha..What a yummy spread..n look so neat n awesome..I want that Paratha n pickle right now..You are awesome da!!!
Which cam do u use dr?

Recipeswap said...

Asha I just saw your comment on recipeswap.Thanks for the wishes.You are an Aquarian too wow!!!! so when are your Birthdays??????
If I'm late,here's wishing you both a very happy Belated Birthday.

Namrata Kini said...

Asha thats a wonderful thali. Your parathas look nice and flaky. Never added baking powder in parathas. Will try it next time. I have tried making Mooli parathas twice in the past but both times my hands started burning after squeezing the liquid. So never tried it after that.

A_and_N said...

Will you adopt me?

Paru ... said...

Excellent platter..I luv the plate and the shaped cups in them :)..I am a great fan of mooli paratha,afte seeing ur thali and especially that 'Paratha' , I want to run home and try it ASAP..

FH said...

Varsha, I have 2 Sony Cyber shots, one smaller 4.1px and other one is 8.1px. These were taken form 8.1pxl! :)

Thanks Neema, 6th and 9th but Shh...! :D

Namu, put it in a cheese cloth and squeeze from the top, so you don't have to touch the radish! :)

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. Asha! you always make me crave for the items you cook.. Thali looks lovely..

Trupti said...

Thali looks very delicious Asha. I want that thali. I am hungry.

About event. Yes I know Siri is also hosting one theme but her event is till 1 March & my event is from 20 Feb to 20 March. I know it's overlapping but Ramki said it's ok.

Usha said...

Awesome Asha, that thali looks so tempting, everything looks delicious :-)

Anonymous said...

that's lovely fare! awesome spread!

Manasi said...

Just one question.. sour cream fro the kadhi? does it taste same as yogurt in the end?

Anonymous said...

hello asha,
delicious thali.did you buy the steel from india or did you buy it here.

shalini

Keshi said...

wow Asha u amaze with ur vast knowledge in so many cuisines!

Keshi.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

I seriously think your family is so lucky to have such a fulfilling meal everyday. That is very nice.. how do u manage to cook thaali frequently? i make only one main dish and a side... that itself is so much work :( but yeah... i would love to have such a nice thaali... who wouldnt? right.. hariyanvi thali looks great and besan pinni sounds very interesting.... i love laddus. pistachios in laddoos must be delicious... i have tasted that once and totally loved it...

Meera said...

absolutely fantastic!! Loved that thali. I am still looking for the Haryanvi recipes.
Also thanks for trying my crowder peas usal and for your feedback too.

Lakshmi said...

As usual you always 'stun' me with your awesome elaborate thali Ashakka. Everything looks so delicious. Arvind and kids are soo lucky to have you :) Jagarane madtheera Ashakka? ;) always remember guru shishyaru movie which was telecasted on shivaratri day in India ...illi 10 gantege gorke hoditha irthivi :D This time shivaratri is on Monday thinking of fasting for half day at least..let me see

amna said...

what a spread! i had bookmarked some haryanvi recipes too. i still have time right?

Savi-Ruchi said...

lovely spread.., I'm drooling all over. I can imagine the efforts put by you to prepare this thali.., wish you were in Singapore. I would have bumped into your house..
Planning to prepare that carrot pickle at the earliest

krystyna said...

Hi Asha!
You always make me very hungry
and inspiring me.
Great job!
Your blog will be a great treasure for your kids./not only for them/
Better than book.

Daily Meals said...

Wow Asha! Great looking thali...Thanks for trying potato muruku...I hope you liked them...Today I have posted another muruku recipe from that book...

Sreelu said...

Asha, mouthwatering spread, just want to take a bite into gajar ka achar with mooli de parantha :)

Bharathy said...

Here after a long time..:) and I am really happy to see you feasting as always...
Loved to know abt the "Dragon Lady".. ;)

jayasree said...

What an amazing thali,Ashakka. Delicious spread.Hats off to your enthusiasm to cook up a full thali. Your thaalis have inspired me to cook similarly. But somehow doesn't come through.

Glad to know you tried from my blog too. Hope you liked that version of pongal.

Raaga said...

Hey, you're here with a thali from "my" state :)

Reeta Skeeter said...

Hello jeeee :)

So gald to see you blogging again... small correction it is gobhi "da" achar.... and the food looks yummilicious as ever!!!!!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Wowoww wat a delicious Thali...really tempting platter..love the gajar de achar n besan pinni, everything looks gorgeous Asha...teach me how u manage to prepare everything at a time:)

Anonymous said...

Totally Amazing spread Asha..You are truly yummy..Wow,drooling..Haryana cuisine is new to me..Thanks

Mona said...

Wow! Haryanvi food is typical! I love it! :)

FH said...

Manasi, yes. Sour cream tastes great in any dish you usually use yogurt. Try once and see how you like it. I use "light" sour cream! :)

Shalini, I bought those dinner plates here in US. Log on to "Indousplaza" and you will get many Indian thalis and other stuff too! :)

Mahimaa, thalis come out only for very few Festivals and RCI events!! ;D

Meera, it was so yummy, thank you so much. Made a little gravy for idlis! :)

Nags, deadline is 28th, so get on with it! :)

Vijaya, thanks for murukus, they were all gone within 3 days! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the "big gun" thali Asha!! Kadi pakoda is one of my favorite things in any variation --must try with potatoes in the batter. Everything looks delicious as always!! Hope to do my Haryani cooking this weekend :)

FH said...

Jayasree, Kollu Pongal was easy and tasted excellent, thank you so much for that. I found a pack of Kollu recently, so I will be making lot of Kollu dishes now! :D

Raaga, Deeba is from Haryana too, did you know? I was surprised too! You are so lucky to eat the "genuine" Haryanvi food there girl, I had to rely on cookbooks mostly! :))

Hellooo Reeta, thanks for the "da" achar girl! I thought there is a mistake somewhere because I don't speak Punjabi at all. I corrected it quickly!! Hahaha!! Hugs to you. Long time no see! :))

Priya, experience, temperament and organization counts. I am a multi tasker and very organized when I want to be! :D

Jaya M said...

Asha,
it all look so delicious and mouth-watering.
well next time I am going to try the carrot pickle when I have some carrots.
wish I can stay near your home , so each and evry day would become somewhat a feast for me!!:))...
hugs and smiles

TBC said...

Yet another elaborate thali from you! Looks great. Where did you get the thalis from?

Beyond Curries said...

Wow, wow, wow, that's an amazing thali Asha. I meant both the literal thali and the food. Did you get that plate in India?

It's bad that Anoop Dawg didn't make it yesterday. He was so good when compared to Sanjaya. I guess luck also plays a big part.

Bong Mom said...

Ok I am tired of saying your thali is so delicious every time, you do make them so very appetizing looking :D
T will get her friends from Chapel Hill for your food now

FH said...

TBC and Madhu,
those steel thalis and many other things are available at "Indousplaza" website, store is in New York. They ship it to you quickly and are very efficient!!:))

Madhu, I was disappointed too. Looks like others got "sympathy" votes, Anoop was way better singer than many up there! Not fair at all!!

Beyond Curries said...

Yes Asha, I also felt so bad for Anoop. I agree with you the other two were good. But I also thought exactly that the other one got sympathy votes, especially with this economy and all. Of course he was good in the audition, but Anoop was good even the live show on Tuesday. And I also don't know why they put through Tatiana even to the top 36. Her laugh reminded me of Janice's snort (from Friends) That's really to increase the entertainment/fun factor I guess.

Vani said...

Amazing looking platter that, Asha!! Yummy dishes and they all come together so well. Great job! Looking forward to the Shivarathri post now :)

Anonymous said...

My Goodness..Hey pass me that thali .mouthwatering dishes and very informative post dear...Keep up the good work ..
love
veena

FH said...

Madhu, my son HATED Tatiana!! Hahaha! What a nightmare, that girl!! Yeah, I think it's all about the entertainment, not about the real talent. Anoop wouldn't have won it but could have been hung around for a while,even Paula thought so! He is really good singer and a very decent guy too! Oh well, their loss!!:)

Vani, nothing much for Shivaratri but will make something sweet for kids. They have to know the roots! Shivaratri and Deepavali are the only 2 festivals I choose to celebrate here anyway! :)

Welcome to FH Veena, thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

thank you

shalini

Malar Gandhi said...

Sweet Asha...I am amazed at ur quick response...Yeah yeah...please take liberty with me...Award is all yours, enjoy! Happy cooking.

FH said...

Thanks Malar. I check the blogs every hour or whenever I get a gap betn my routine work and your both posts popped up! Glad to say hello to you always! :)

Shivali said...

Thanks Asha for visiting my blog and dropping in wonderful comments.

Wow the haryanvi thali looks awesome.The mooli paratha,carrot pickle,the aloo raita hmm almost everything is so inviting.Even my son wanted to have a bit of the besan dessert.He's making unsuccessful attempts to pick it up from the screen hehe.

Mythreyee said...

that's one fantastic array of dishes. name a cuisine and you always have a complete thali. really fantastic.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

wowow asha i love the thali...iam hungry now:P looks soooooooo lovely

Smita said...

I would love to send my panini recipe for the 'Picnic Eats' event but the rules say no special equipment :( and panini press qualifies as one...:(

Preety said...

wow the thali looks so inviting..i wish i was your neighbor..and as always gr8 clicks..

FH said...

Smitha, yes. I forgot!! That event has too many rules and condition, I don't like it either. Oh well..enjoy the Panini! :))

Thanks Gayatri, I will! :)

Thanks Preety! :)

Shivali said...

Hey Asha,
I just made the carrot pickle and i can't stop licking my fingers.Its too tasty.The grated the carrot and made a tadka of the pounded spices.
Thanks for the easy and awesome recipe.
Ankita

Vibaas said...

what a yummy spread! too tempting :)

Cynthia said...

One day when I become rich, I want you to take me to tour your beautiful country :)

Anonymous said...

asha,
yummyyy..delicious....Great Effort and appreciate ur patience in making such a big thali.:)

Sia said...

my eyes are glued to that lovely thali. what a wonderful spread!!!! looks like you r having a blast in ur new kitchen ;)
TGIF:) i am planning to relax this weeken. less of cooking and more of reading. ah... girl can dream, can't she? ;)

Sia said...

oh, enjoy ur weekend ashakka. and happy shiv ratri in advance :)

Anonymous said...

awesome spread. You have really managed to get together the best of haryana in this plate

FH said...

Thanks to all of you girls, enjoy the weekend.

Ankita, grating carrots is a great idea, I will do next time, thanks for trying! :))

Sia, thanks. Enjoy reading. Just learned that Arvind is not going be home on Sunday and Monday, so I will be making Shivaratri oota tomorrow, I will be a busy bee today!! :D

Hugs to all of you, happy Shivaratri if you celebrate it! :))

J said...

Someone sent me these besan pinnis and they were so delicious! I can see you're enjoying all that food!

FH said...

Hi J, yes, those Pinnis are so delicious! We enjoyed it for sure and I am on to Shiva Ratri thali now! Hahaha! Enjoy the weekend! :)

Shivapriya said...

oh god where do get sooo much energy to cook all these yummy dishes. I hardly cook these days. Nis was sick for 2 week then sv and now me:(. I'm just craving for a hot platter like this:)

FH said...

SP, so sorry you are all not feeling well there girl. We all have sniffles too, it seems to be everywhere these days. Get well soon. Hugs! :)

veggie belly said...

everything sounds so great! this looks so much better than any thali youd get at a restaurant!

FH said...

Thanks VB, try my best! ;D

KonkaniBlogger said...

Wow Asha!! Needless to say, fabulous! I can only order this thali in a restaurant if I want to eat everything here all at the same time. Haven't cooked anything decent lately, so this makes me really crave.

Madhu Taneja, Ameeta Atul & Ashima Taneja said...

wow .. the thali looks amazing ... feel like grabbing it from the pic ...... I always love to have thali meals ......... you are inspiring me to do the hard work of preparing all the dishes :)

-Ashima

Pravs said...

looks so sumptuous ! great effort from you and a lovely post.

Red Chillies said...

What a treat indeed! Your family is truly blessed to have a creative and wonderful cook like you. I am so glad I did not miss the treat. This is 'big gun' indeed. Besan Piini and Gajar da achar has attracted me the most.

accidental diva said...

as usual the food look amazing asha akka..plan to try the kadhi on sunday..will let u know how it turns out.
have read q & a,I loved it.. think that if the movie had stuck to the original novel it would have been a even bigger hit.

Mallika said...

Wow Asha. No wonder you needed a special thali for it all. Did you see Anoop yesterday? He is brilliant. We are rooting for him from across the Atlantic!!

Mandira said...

wow Asha, this looks fabulous. I am sure each bite was bursting with flavor. Can I come over for a thali like this :)

starry said...

Asha this Thali looks so good.everything looks so delicious.Thank you for sharing.Thanks for the link to Anoops music.I was really sad to see him go.He has a really good voice.Did you get that thali in India I have not seen this kind.

FH said...

Mallika, unfortunately, Anoop lost already. He is really talented, that is sad.

Sure! Why not, Mandira! :)

Hi Starry, I was so angry at that. We don't vote for somebody because we feel sorry for them instead of their singing abilities, you know what I mean. Oh well..their loss! :P

Thalis: Google for "indousplaza" and you will get plenty of Indian steel things! :)

delhibelle said...

Now that is one whopper thali!
My mooli paranthas never turn out as crisp as yours look, is it the baking powder?

FH said...

Told ya, but mine is not at all no fat or low fat like your's though! Yes, baking pd and bit of oil or shortening and resting the dough for a while makes the the roti crisp! :)

zobars said...

Hello Asha,
I have been a regular reader of your blog. I wanted to know how many people does the pakodi kadhi you made serve ?? thanks.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

happy shivratri to you too...

n once I break my fast can I come over to have that thali? :)

suvi said...

What an awesome thali! drooling...

Divya Kudua said...

A perfect thali..thats all I would say..anything else might not sound as good. am totally at a loss of words looking at the beautiful thali and don't know which one I liked the most.each and every dish looks spectacular and even the lime-chilly looks so pretty!!Great work indeed and kudos to you!!

FH said...

Zobars, Kadhi is enough for about 6 servings, estimating about 3/4 cup of gravy per person. You can add half of the recipe to make less.
I made a bit more than we need for 4 people in my family because Kadhi tastes better the next day, love the left overs! ;D

Navita. fasting, are you? Have a feast today. Happy Shiva ratri! :)

Thanks AD and Divya. We loved the thali, another veg thali is coming soon! ;D

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow awesome and tempting recipes. I will try some from this.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Thali,i am crazy over Thalis be it Gujarathi or marathi or this one...splendid spread

Gattina Cheung said...

I totally adore your Mooli de paratha!!! It must be a bliss if I could live next to you... I'd beg you to let me into your kitchen, or at least, I'd inhale that aroma from your window :D

Yasmeen said...

thanks for the visual feast of the ever-so delicious haryanvi cuisine:)

Premyscakes said...

Very much tempting spread.

Srivalli said...

Great thali Asha..no words really...I am sure you all enjoyed...

Anonymous said...

perfect display & perfect dishes. i am clueless how you manage to do this:0). I really wish I could sit & eat all that in that thali!! All your thalis to be exact.

Sum Raj said...

happy shivarathri to u too....thali looks awsome and the recipe names chhas usually we call it as sambaram..v add curry leaves,ginger favlour into that...it tastes really goood.

Neha said...

OMG, what a wonderful spread. its looking so professional. You are such a amazing cook, n u are inspiring me to cook more. GR8efforts indeed

Paru ... said...

Made the Chaas today Asha,,I didnt have buttermilk or yogurt but had cottage cheese..I used it to make it and It tasted just like butter milk:).. Planning to try the Besan Pinni next,,will let you know how it turned out for me:)..

FH said...

Paru, that is so unique and new to me to use Cottage cheese for buttermilk. I am so excited to learn that, I will try next time. Never thought of that, you are such a clever girl! Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the Pinnis too. They are so yummy! :))

kamala said...

That is a beautiful thali Ashaji..Come back after a break..Can't imagine If i would ever make delicious plate like urs!!!

Pooja said...

Great thali...looking lovely

SMN said...

Ashakka turely a delight...

sorry for delay this time .im busy wth all the shifting work and house is not yet set so...

Anonymous said...

The thali looks so goood! My mouth is watering just looking at the pics!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

The perfect thali, Asha.
Is there any state you haven't covered yet? I am in total awe at the variety of food you must have cooked to date.

FH said...

Well.. if you choose a RCI state, I will make them Aparna! ;D

Suganya said...

That thali is to die for. I know I keep saying this over and over. But I am astounded by your energy.

FH said...

Thank you Suganya, I try to do my best! :)

Suparna said...

HI Asha,
Was here for the gajar achar recipe :) thanks dear :)
TC

FH said...

Suparna, cut the carrots into matchsticks size about 3" long, better to eat easily that way. Enjoy! :)

Jaya M said...

Dear Asha tried the gajar achar and it was real good one ..thanks for sharing the recipe..
hugs and smiles

FH said...

You are very welcome Jaya, we loved it too although you can't keep it for more than a week. Enjoy! :)

Rumela said...

The Haryanvi Thali looks good. It does look wonderful for kids of all ages.your thali's recipe presentation is an eye-pleasure,I am sure it will taste as good as the picture.I know my grandson will love eating this...as long as he can use his fingers.

FH said...

Thanks Rumela. Thali food is wonderful to look at, to eat and pleases the soul. Yes, eating with our fingers will give us satisfaction like no other! :)